Planning to visit a park or forest?
Some parks and forests will close on days of severe/extreme weather or significant fire danger, so if you are planning on visiting for camping, walking and other recreational activities please make sure you check on conditions before you leave.
It is also important to check conditions across Victoria during summer, as fire activity can also be a safety factor even if there are no closures.
You can also connect to multiple sources for emergency information, including
- the VicEmergency app - Apple or Google Play
- tuning in to ABC radio or other emergency broadcasters including commercial and community radio stations
- Sky TV
- phoning the VicEmergency hotline on 1800 226 22
- following VicEmergency on Facebook and Twitter.
East Gippsland closures
All East Gippsland parks and forests are closed until further notice. These include:
- Amboyne State Forest, Angora State Forest
- Beloka State Forest, Bemm State Forest, Benambra State Forest, Bendoc State Forest, Birregun State Forest, Bonang State Forest, Bruthen State Forest, Buldah State Forest, Bullung-warl State Forest
- Calajero State Forest, Cann Valley State Forest, Club Terrace State Forest, Coast Range State Forest, Cobungra State Forest, Colquhoun / Boyanga Gidi State Forest, Combienbar State Forest, Cottonwood State Forest
- Dargo State Forest, Deddick State Forest, Drummer State Forest
- Ellery State Forest
- Fainting Range State Forest
- Gelantipy State Forest, Gibbo State Forest, Gingee Munjie State Forest, Gipsy Point State Forest, Glen Valley State Forest, Gurrun-gurrun-yarn State Forest
- Hartland State Forest, Haunted Stream State Forest
- Kenny State Forest
- Limpyers State Forest
- Mallacoota State Forest, Merremingger State Forest, Mount Alfred State Forest, Mount Battery State Forest, Mount Burt State Forest, Mount Delusion State Forest, Mount Sam State Forest, Mount Wong State Forest, Mount Raymond State Forest, Murrungower State Forest
- Nowa Nowa Public Purposes Reserve, Nunnett State Forest, Nunniong State Forest
- Orbost State Forest
- Snowy River National Park, Splitters Range State Forest
- Tambo State Forest, Tamboon State Forest, Tara State Forest, Tubbut State Forest, Tulloch Ard State Forest
- Uplands State Forest
- Warriballat State Forest, Waygara State Forest, Wentworth State Forest, Wf - Bemm River Water Frontage, Wf - Bendock River Water Frontage, Wf - Errinundra River Water Frontage, Wf - Prospect Creek Water Frontage, Wf - Tonghi Creek Water Frontage, Wf - Wentworth River Water Frontage, Wingan State Forest
- Yalmy State Forest, Yowen-burrun State Forest
- Alfred National Park, Arte River Flora Reserve.
- Backwater Morass Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Bald Hills Road Bushland Reserve, Bancroft Bay - Kalimna Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Baxter Island Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Bemm River Scenic Reserve, Bendoc Nature Conservation Reserve, Bidwell Education Area, Blond Bay Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Blond Bay Wildlife Reserve, Boggy Creek Nature Conservation Reserve, Bonanza Gully Historic Reserve, Brodribb Flora Reserve, Buchan Cave Reserve*, Buchan Bushland Reserve, Buchan River Water Frontage.
- Cann River Bushland Reserve, Cape Conran Coastal Park*, Cassilis Historic Area, Cobon Nature Conservation Reserve, Cobungra Bushland Reserve, Cobungra Streamside Reserve, Combienbar River Nature Conservation Reserve, Coopracambra National Park, Croajingolong National Park, Cutfinger Education Area.
- Dartmouth Reservoir, Dawson-Murrindal Nature Conservation Reserve, Deddick River Water Frontage, Deddick River Streamside Reserve, Delegate Hill, Delegate River Streamside Reserve, Detarka Bushland Reserve, Dicksons Cave Reserve.
- Eagle Point Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Errinundra National Park, Errinundra Reserve.
- Fairy Dell Flora Reserve, Flannagan Island Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Fraser Island Gippsland Lakes Reserve.
- Gippsland Lake Reserve, Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park (except for the coastal strip west of and including Paradise Beach), Gippsland Lakes Foreshore Reserve, Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Golden Gully Machinery Site Historic Reserve, Goodwin Creek Bushland Reserve, Green Hills Nature Conservation Reserve.
- Jones Bay Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Jones Bay Wildlife Reserve.
- Kanni Flora Reserve
- Lake Dartmouth, Lakes Entrance Foreshore – North Arm, Lind National Park, Little Bog Creek Flora and Fauna Reserve, Livingstone Creek Water Frontage, Livingstone Creek Natural Features and Scenic Reserve, Lower Cann River Nature Conservation Reserve, Lower Errinundra Nature Conservation Reserve.
- Macfarlane Lookout Natural Features and Scenic Reserve, Macleod Morass Wildlife Reserve, Mallacoota Bushland Reserve, Mallacoota Coastal Reserve, Mallacoota Inlet, Maramingo Creek Flora Reserve, Marble Gully - Mount Tambo Nature Conservation Reserve, Martins Creek Nature Conservation Reserve, Martins Creek Scenic Reserve, Melwood Education Area, Metung Bushland Reserve, Mississippi Creek Water Frontage, Mitchell River Silt Jetties Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Mitchell River water reserve Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Mitta Mitta River Water Frontage, Morass Creek Flora and Fauna Reserve, Mossiface Bushland Reserve, Mottle Range Flora Reserve, Mount Bendock Bushland Reserve, Mount Delegate Scenic Reserve, Mount Elizabeth Nature Conservation Reserve, Mount Murphy Historic Area, Mount Stewart Nature Conservation Reserve, Mount Stewart Natural Features and Scenic Reserve, Mount Wills Historic Area, Murrindal & Lilly Pilly Cave Reserve, Murrindal Flora Reserve, Murrindal River Water Frontage.
- Nicholson Floodplain Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Nyerimilang Park Gippsland Lakes Reserve.
- Omeo Bushland Reserve, Omeo Swimming Pool & Camping Area.
- PPR Foreshore Res – Raymond Island, Pyramid Creek And Bemm River Water Frontage.
- Raymond Island Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Reserved Forest, Rigby Island Gippsland Lakes Reserve.
- Salt Lake - Backwater Morass Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Sardine Creek Education Area, Sarsfield Bushland Reserve, Serpentine Creek Education Area, Sinnotts, Slaughterhouse Creek Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Snowy River Water Frontage, Snowy River National Park, St George Plain Flora Reserve, Steel Bay - Newland Backwater Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Sunnyside Education Area, Swan Reach Bay Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Swifts Creek Water Frontage.
- Tambo Bushland Reserve, Tambo Delta - Metung Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Tambo floodplain Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Tambo River Water Frontage, Tara Range Park, Terlite-Munjie Bushland Reserve, The Billabong Flora and Fauna Reserve, The Gap Scenic Reserve, The Glen Flora Reserve, The Pyramids Cave Reserve, Thirty-Two Mile Nature Conservation Reserve, Timbarra River Water Frontage, Tonghi Creek Streamside Reserve, Tongio Bushland Reserve.
- Victoria Falls Historic Area, Victoria Star Mine Historic Reserve.
- W Tree Falls Natural Features and Scenic Reserve, Wallagaraugh River Streamside Reserve, Wattle Point Gippsland Lakes Reserve, Wf - Bemm River Water Frontage, Wf - Pyramid Creek Water Frontage, Wingan River West Nature Conservation Reserve, Wiseleigh Bushland Reserve, Wombat Creek Nature Conservation Reserve, Wood Point Flora Reserve, Wulgulmerang Creek Bushland Reserve, Wy Yung I17 Bushland Reserve, Wy Yung I18 Bushland Reserve, Wy Yung I19 Bushland Reserve.
* Buchan Caves Reserve and Cape Conran Coastal Park are partially closed. In Buchan Caves visitors can camp at the main camping area, picnic, and stay in Caves House. Walking tracks and other areas within the reserve will remain closed to visitors for safety reasons, and cave tours are not being offered at this time. In Cape Conran the following visitors areas have reopened:
- Cape Conran Boat Ramp at West Cape and adjacent Joiner Channel area. Access to the boat ramp is via West Cape Road.
- The area to the west of the beach access track at Point Ricardo
- Pearl Point Campground. Access to the campground is via Pearl Point Track.
- Gunnai Beach
- Binns Beach
- Ocean Beach
North East closures
Some parks and forests in north eastern Victoria have now reopened, including all parks and state forests west of the Wangaratta Whitfield Road and west of the Mansfield Whitfield Road. The state forests and parks listed below remain closed.
- Mansfield State Forest to the north of the Mansfield Mt Buller Road. This includes Carters Road, Buttercup road, Buckland Spur and adjoining tracks.
- Tracks off Circuit Road, including; Bindaree Road, King Basin Road, Speculation Road, Black Landing Road, Mt No. 3 Road and Corn Hill Logging Road remain closed. Circuit road is open, including Razorback Hut.
Note: Jamieson State forest west of the Jamieson-Licola Road, Mount Sunday Road and Mitchells Track is open including Wrens Flat and Granny's Flat.
Alpine National Park
The Alpine National Park remains closed, with the exception of the following areas:
The following tracks and visitor areas within the Southern Alps area of the Alpine National Park are closed:
- King Billy Track
- Zeka Spur Track at Howitt Road (leads to Wonnangatta)
- Wonnangatta Valley Tracks and campsites
- End of Pioneer Racecourse Track (leads to Wonnangatta)
- Cynthia Range Track/Crooked River intersection (leads to Wonnangatta)
- Basalt South Track (leads to Blue Rag)
- Blue Rag Range Track
- Brewery Creek Track
- Eaglevale Track
- The Dargo High Plains Road
- Access to Wonnangatta from north east Victoria.
Areas that are now open within this precinct include:
- Bluff Link Road
- 16 Mile Jeep Track
- Bindaree Hut Campsite
- Upper Howqua Campsite
- Pikes Flat Campsite
- 7 and 8 Mile Camping Areas
- Ritchies Hut
- High Track from Gardner’s Hut through to 16 Mile Jeep Track
- Eagles Peaks
- 4 Mile Spur
- Low Track from Tunnel to Ritchie’s Hut
- 8 Mile Spur
- Howqua Hills Historic Area
- Mount Samaria State Park.
Areas that remain closed in this precinct include:
- King Basin Road
- Black Landing Track
- Speculation Road
- Lickhole Creek Track
- Bluff walking track
- 16 Mile Spur Walking track
- Helicopter Spur
- Howitt Spur
- Australian Alps Walking Track from Mt McDonald including feeder tracks
- King Hut
- Pineapple Flat
- Brocks Road ( from 8 Mile Gap)
- Bluff Track
- Bluff Hut
- Lovick Hut
- King Billy Track
- Nobs Track
- Cairn Creek Track
- Access to Wonnangatta
Mount Feathertop (between the Great Alpine Road to Mount Hotham and the Alpine Walking Track from Mount Hotham to the Cobungra River)
Areas that are now open in this precinct include:
- Mount Feathertop
- Razorback Ridge
- Bon Accord Spur, Bungalow Spur and North-West Spur
- Diamantina Horse Yards
- Dibbins Hut
- The Alpine Walking Trail between Mount Hotham and Pole 333
- Carmichael Falls Track
- Brabralung Trail
Areas that remain closed in this area include:
- Brandy Creek Mine
- Dead Timber Hill Track
- Tabletop Walking Track
Mount Bogong and the northern Bogong High Plains (between the Alpine Walking Track to Pole 333, Fainter Fire Trail to Pretty Valley Pondage, the southern edge of Rocky Valley Storage to Watchbed Creek, the big River Fire Trail to Big River, and Big River to the Omeo Highway)
Areas that are now open in this precinct include:
- Falls Creek Alpine Resort
- Mount Bogong
- Blairs Hut, Tawonga Huts, Edmondson Hut
- Pretty Valley Pondage
- Rocky Valley Storage
- Heathy Spur
- Watchbed Creek
- Mount Spione Kopje
Areas that remain closed in this precinct include:
- Wallace’s Hut, Kelly Hut, Fitzgerald Hut, Johnson’s Hut, Cope Hut
- Mount Cope
- Ryder’s Yards
- Rover Chalet
- Track 107
Powers Lookout and Paradise Falls
Areas that remain closed within this precinct include:
- Lake Cobbler
- Sandy Flat and Top Crossing
Area west of Lake Dartmouth
All other areas of the Alpine National Park including roads and tracks remain closed until further notice.
Visitors to all parks and reserves that are adjacent to or nearby areas affected by fire should be mindful of potential water quality issues as a result of the fire event.
Mount Buffalo National Park
The majority of Mount Buffalo National Park has re-opened. Access into the park is through to the Cathedral Saddle car park but all visitor facilities and most tracks north are open and accessible. Some areas in the north have restricted access until further assessments and rehabilitation works are complete. These areas are:
- Reservoir Road
- Rocky Creek Track
- Mt McLeod Track
- Macs Point Track from near the Leviathan Long Plain Track to Mt Dunn and surrounds.
Upper Murray closures
- Upper Murray River Reserves
- Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park
- Mount Mitta Mitta Regional Park
Western Victoria closures
- Crawford River Regional Park
- Ben Major State Forest (part)
- Budj Bim National Park
- Cobboboonee National Park - northern section, including Jackass Fern Gully campground, Wrights campground, Fitzroy Hike-in camping area, and Great South West Walk between Cobboboonee Road and Heath Road.
Greater Melbourne closures
- The southern end of Plenty Gorge Park is closed due to recent fire activity. These areas include Yellow Gum Recreation Area, Nioka Bush Camp, Tanunda Wetlands and Janefield South.
For latest information on fires go to www.emergency.vic.gov.au
Page last updated: 21/02/20