Seasonal Project Firefighters
Seasonal project firefighters complement our permanent firefighting staff and are responsible for bushfire suppression and prevention activities including planned burning. Many project firefighters return from previous years, bringing with them valuable skills and experience. All firefighters are trained comprehensively before being involved in fire operations.
Positions are available each year (generally between November and April) and include:
- firefighter (includes designated Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people positions)
- rappel and hover exit crews (specialist firefighting roles performed in remote locations)
- fire support officers (limited positions).
General enquiries: 136 186
Project Firefighter Medical Assessment
Firefighting roles are physically and psychologically demanding.
Project Firefighters must meet our highest medical standards:
- Category A Firefighter – Rappel / Hover Exit
- Category B Firefighter – Arduous
If you are considering applying for a Project Firefighter position, and would like to discuss your health or medical suitability for a role, please contact our medical provider:
Corporate Health Management(CHM)
PH: 03 9941 3155
These fact sheets provide more detail about the medical requirements:
Page last updated: 29/11/19