Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMVic) is made up of skilled staff from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), Parks Victoria, Melbourne Water and VicForests.
FFMVic works with Country Fire Authority (CFA), Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV), other emergency services and communities across Victoria to deliver the best local approaches to public land management in Victoria. We are proud to be recognised as a world leader in bushfire risk management.
Our core purpose is to protect people, property and the environment.
We do this by managing bushfires and bushfire risk in Victoria’s parks, forests and other public land, and by minimising the impact of fire on our communities, environment and everything we value most. This management includes:
- risk-based bushfire management and planning
- fire prevention and preparedness
- fuel management programs (including planned burning
- emergency response and recovery.
We also preserve and upgrade our parks and state forests across Victoria to provide more accessible opportunities to get outdoors and enjoy nature.
FFMVic community objectives
- Providing an integrated approach to land management to reduce bushfire risk in Victoria
- Minimising the impact of major bushfires on human life, communities, infrastructure, industries, the economy and the environment
- Delivering a coordinated community and environmental recovery management when fires and other emergencies occur
- Being a trusted source of information for Victorian communities, to build and maintain long-lasting, strong, collaborative and respectful relationships with the communities we serve.
Code of practice for bushfire management on public land (PDF, 715.9 KB)
Code of practice for bushfire management on public land (DOCX, 2.5 MB)
Variation instrument for the Code of Practice for the Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land 2012 (amended 2022) (PDF, 217 KB)
DELWP and Fire Rescue Victoria have formally signed an agreement for fire prevention and suppression activities. The agreement allows personnel from DELWP, Parks Victoria, Melbourne Water, and VicForests to carry out certain fire suppression activities in the FRV Fire District, when they operate as part of FFMVic, and in the circumstances which are set out in the agreement. Read full agreement here (PDF, 7.3 MB)
Forest firefighters' presumptive rights compensation
The Victorian Government has committed to introducing presumptive rights to compensate for occupational cancer for all Victorian firefighters.
The Forests Amendment (Forest Firefighters Presumptive Rights Compensation) Act 2021 (the Act) has passed in the Victorian Parliament but has not yet come into effect. The forest firefighters’ presumptive rights scheme is an important recognition of the contribution forest firefighters make to the protection of our communities and the environment.
Visit WorkSafe Victoria’s presumptive rights for the most up-to-date information about presumptive rights compensation for forest firefighters.
Page last updated: 24/06/22