For life-threatening emergencies or to report a fire, call Triple Zero (000) at all anytime.

Call 132 500 from anywhere in Victoria for flood, storm, landslide emergency.

VicEmergency online

For regular fire updates and other emergency advice and warnings across Victoria, please visit the VicEmergency website. You can also find a full list of official emergency radio broadcasters via the website.

Visit VicEmergency online

VicEmergency hotline

Call the VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226 for:

  • Warnings, bushfires and incidents
  • Smoke is coming from a bushfire or planned burn
  • Current fire danger ratings and what they mean
  • Total fire bans and fire restrictions, what you can and can't do
  • Preparing and planning for bushfire season
  • Planned burns in your area
  • Bushfire safety and management on public land
  • Community meeting information
  • Emergency relief centre location details
  • Neighbourhood Safer Place location details
  • Financial assistance after a bushfire, fences and control lines, and essential water
  • Annual DEPI fire planning and community consultation

VicEmergency Hotline open between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays). During and after significant bushfires, hotline availability extends. Recorded information on specific topics can be accessed 24 hours a day.

Call Hotline: 1800 226 226

People who are deaf, hard of hearing, or who have a speech/communication impairment can contact VicEmergency Hotline via the National Relay Service on 133 677.

For help with English, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask them to telephone VicEmergency Hotline.

Other emergency channels

Follow VicEmergency on Twitter or Facebook. Follow the hashtag #vicfires.

Download the VicEmergency app from the Apple App Store for Apple users and Google store for Android users

View more information about planned burns occuring in your area.

Fire restrictions and regulations

We strictly enforces penalties for failing to adhere to fire restrictions and fire regulations. Fire regulation penalties relate to inappropriate, negligent or reckless use of fire or equipment while fire restrictions apply to activities that may cause bushfire. For information visit our Fire Restriction page, regarding campfires and barbeques, burning off and commercial activities and equipment use.

More information about Total Fire Bans

Apply for a Victorian Fire Permit

The rules governing fire restrictions are in the Forests Act 1958, Forests (Fire Protection) Regulations 2014, Safety on Public Land Act 2004 , National Parks Act 1975 and Country Fire Authority Act 1958.

Page last updated: 26/10/22