All camping and caravan sites in Victoria are now closed
Access and closures in State Forests
During the year, various state forest vehicle tracks, bike tracks, walking tracks and recreation sites may temporarily close (or partially close with access restrictions) to the public for a range of reasons. These may include:
- Fire damage
- Flood or storm damage
- Planned maintenance
- Planned seasonal road closures (usually from June to November)
- Environmental watering (ie. On Gunbower Island some roads will be closed during winter and spring)
MapShareVic is an interactive map that combines the former Forest Explorer and Public Access Map sites into one interactive map. Forest Explorer and Public Access Map are themes that can be selected to show public land, its road network, State forest recreation visitor sites and tracks and any closures that apply to the road, track and visitor site network. This map is updated by regional staff who maintain the data and enter any closures that may apply.
The Forest Explorer and Public Access Map themes within MapShareVic are intended as guides only and are updated by local district staff as the road network, picnic, camping, walking, and other facilities are gradually repaired, reopened or closed.
The link to the MapShareVic site is below. Before you jump to the site, you may wish to view these short video tutorials which explain how to use some of the key functions, to help you get the most out of the maps.
What MapShareVic does:
- The maps provide information on known road closures (including seasonal road closures) for both state forests and national/state parks. The information for visitor site and walking/mountain bike trails closures are for state forests only.
- It provides interactive maps that you can enlarge to view your area of interest and allows you to click on closed roads or sites for more detailed information on their closure. The maps also provide information on planned closures (e.g. roads, tracks or sites to be closed for maintenance or repair works) and you can search by place name, site or road name and create and print a PDF closure report with maps and text.
You can also see road closures within the Forest Explorer theme (which displays the State forest visitor site and trail information) but you must turn on the Public Access information (under layers) to make this road closure data visible.
What MapShareVic does not do:
- MapShareVic does not provide information on access into areas during active fire or flood events. Please do not use this site to plan access into affected areas during active fire or flood events.
- For up to date information on current fires and related emergency warnings, visit VicEmergency.
- It does not provide information on planned burning of forest areas, often conducted during spring and autumn.
- Information on the location and timing of planned burns can be found here. Information is also provided to the public via media releases, signage on the planned burns and roadblocks on major tracks during burns.
- The maps do not show normal seasonal variations in road access related to tree fall, slippery track conditions and road surface nor do they contain road, track or site closure information for local councils, committee of management reserves, alpine resorts or VicRoads.
- While seasonal road closure information is provided for Parks Victoria managed parks and reserves, it does not contain any other road, track or visitor site closure information.
For information on other types of closures (and additional information on seasonal road closures) on land managed by Parks Victoria please contact the Parks Victoria Information Centre (Ph: 13 1963) or visit their website.
The stated closures will not indicate all the tracks affected by the normal seasonal pattern of accessibility.
The condition of forest tracks is variable due to environmental factors. Tracks may be blocked by tree fall during winter, especially in remote areas with low traffic. After rain, crossings may become impassable and many tracks can become extremely slippery and difficult to negotiate safely. Be aware of weather history and forecasts, and exercise greater care under these conditions.
How to report a track closure
If you find a major track closure (not just some trees across the road) such as a washed out crossing, land slip or major tree fall event, please report the track name, location, and nature of the closure please contact us.
Our Road Management Plan
Most roads in State forest are maintained to a standard based on land management needs, however a small number of roads have specific maintenance specifications to suit visitors and other users. The DELWP and Parks Victoria Road Management Plan (PDF, 3.0 MB) specifies how these public roads will be maintained, and the Review Report (PDF, 507.6 KB) describes the most recent changes to this plan.
Page last updated: 25/03/20